Welcome!

Hey guys!

Anyone wondering what JC stands for? If you're thinking what I'm thinking, you are correct. That's right! Jesus Christ. (Please, don't roll your eyes at me.) Yeah, I know what you're thinking: Oh, no! Not another Jesus FREAK! Well, I hate to disappoint you, but I am a believer, Christian, and even a Jesus FrEaK (If that's what you want to label me as, that's o.k. by me.) But the main reason why I've decided to start this blog, is not only to proclaim my love for Jesus, but to explain the many reasons behind my love for Him. I believe that by doing so, my audience, (you guys), may be more receptive to what I have to say about Him.

In addition to that, I would like to give you a little inside scoop on who He REALLY is. I am aware that He has been misrepresented by many. As a result, many misconceptions, preconceived notions, and stereotypical beliefs have been formed about Him. Many are skeptical. Others believe God is a superstition. And still others, believe that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ is nothing more than a folkloric tale; told from generation to generation. But what if it's not? What if He's real and alive? Sitting at right hand of God, eager to be allowed into your heart? Eager to show you His love, compassion, mercy, and grace? Eager to bring you hope, salvation, and forgiveness? What if these are not just empty words, recited from generation to generation. What if these words are full of life-giving truth?

What then?


Think about it.


Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Pursuit of Happiness

Is anyone up for a little American History discussion today? I realize that is quite an unusual way to begin a blog post. But I invite you to join me in reflecting upon one of the most wonderful and yet puzzling aspects of the United States' Declaration of Independence; (drafted and mainly written by Thomas Jefferson in 1776). That is, our "inalienable rights"-rights which cannot be taken away-as an introduction to the topic of happiness, and/or its pursuit. (You may not see their connection now, but if you bear with me, you will soon find out how...) So let us begin:

 As one reads the United States Declaration of Independence, one might conclude that Jefferson had three main goals in mind when he was writing it. His first, and most obvious goal, was to write a legally-binding document that would clearly, eloquently, and permanently declare the United States' independence from Great Britain (a.k.a. England.) Secondly, Jefferson wanted to ensure equality among citizens of the United States. And thirdly, he made sure to specify three key rights which "have been bestowed upon us by God Himself," (excerpt from the Declaration of Independence), and therefore, cannot be taken away. Hence the term "inalienable rights."  These are: The right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."  If you ask me, that sounds wonderful! But I've always been intrigued by these three little words in reference to happiness: "the pursuit of..." Notice that Jefferson does not guarantee us happiness. But we have the "inalienable right" to pursuit it.  And I believe it is save to say, that we all pursue it. Each and everyone of us searches for it. Why?  Because EVERYONE WANTS TO BE HAPPY!; it is a human necessity.

But sadly, not everyone truly finds it. Some have searched everywhere; and perhaps even found some temporary joy. Joy resulting from a professional accomplishment, a significant monetary acquisition, a budding relationship with a "special someone," or even a long-awaited marriage. But soon enough, if one does not find the TRUE SOURCE of happiness, what was once cause for joy, may just about lose it's "joyous factor"-so to speak. In other words, if we count solely on external circumstances to achieve happiness, sooner or later, we will come up short on happiness. Please, don't misunderstand me: There's nothing wrong with seeking professional success, doing well financially, dating, and getting married. I'm all for each and everyone of these things. They are all perfectly legitimate. But what I want you-the reader-to understand, is that external circumstances are subject to change. They fluctuate. They do not remain the same. And if the circumstances upon which we base our happiness change, so will our level of happiness; it is that simple, and yet that complex. "So, what is the solution?"-you may ask. "Where do I find a Solid Rock to stand upon in this ever-changing world?" "What or who is the True source of my happiness?" Well, it's funny you should ask. The answer lies in a 5-letter word (drum roll please...): JESUS!

Now, hold on. Don't go jumping into conclusions just yet. You may have heard this before, and you are not quite convinced. Perhaps it seems too easy...or too complicated. Maybe it sounds too good to be true; or it may even sound like a cliche. I can understand the rational behind such logic. I have been there. I was skeptical once. I used to be so worn out and frustrated; emotionally drained. So hopeless. I felt like I had tried everything. I had knocked on every door. But nothing seemed to work. Nothing seemed to fill the void I had inside in my desperate search for happiness.
I too used to believe that happiness would come only as a result of a change in an adverse circumstance. I figured if things were different, I would be happy. But that wasn't the case. I couldn't turn to family members for support. Because in my mind, they wouldn't understand. Even if they tried, they would never fully grasp the depth of my pain. I was blinded by pain and self-absorbed. I figured the only person who truly understood my pain was me. So, that is what I clung to. I engaged in self-pity, and built walls around myself. I felt alone. Alone in my circumstance. But even so, I tried to be strong. Only to find myself physically, mentally, and emotionally drained at the end of the day. My level of faith was below zero. Not only faith in God, but also faith in myself. Faith in my God-given ability to endure and overcome the many afflictions I had been facing for years on end. I was literally done. I was about to give up. (And I would have if it weren't for God's everlasting love, grace, and mercy upon my life.)

But God intervened. I came to find, to my shock and amazement, that I wasn't the only one who understood my pain. He did too! He knew everything! Every single detail. Every wound. He was familiar with the brokenness of my heart. He could relate to it. And He didn't blame for the way I tried (unsuccessfully) to deal with my pain. He didn't point the finger at me or criticize me for not handling it properly. Quite the contrary; He patiently and lovingly waited for me. He waited until I was ready to revisit those wounds, and allow Him to clean them out, one by one. Suddenly, I wasn't alone anymore. (In fact, I never had been. I just didn't realize it.) Someone understood me. Not just someone; The One. He showed me His tender love, mercy, and grace towards me. He picked me up from the ashes and brought me back to my feet again! That, dear my friend, is something I will never forget. As a matter of fact, that is essentially the reason why I have disclosed such personal information with you today; because I want you to know that there is hope. No matter how difficult your circumstance may be, there is hope. There is hope and happiness in Jesus Christ!

My circumstances haven't changed. I'm still faced with the same challenges every day. But I find hope in God's promises. I find strength in His fellowship. And I find happiness in serving Him, and blessing others for the glory of His Holy Name.
I encourage you from the bottom of my heart now, to take a leap of faith. To stop trying to handle adversity your way. Lay your burdens at His feet. Open your heart to Him. Let it all out. And rest assured that He loves you, He cares for you, and He understands you. All you have to do, is let Him in. Let Him into your heart. Let him into your life. Let Him into your circumstance. And be prepared never to be the same again!

If you would like to do so, say this prayer in your heart:

"Dear Jesus,

I'm tired of fighting these battles on my own.
I want you to take control. I give you my life. I lay it at your feet.
I want to find hope in you. I want to find the True Source of happiness in you.
Please come into my heart. I realize that I'm a sinner in need of a Redeemer. And I find that in You!
Please forgive my sins, and wash me clean! I repent from them with all my heart.
Please come and make me new! I receive the gift of salvation! I accept you as my Lord and Savior!
I give my life to you. 

It is in Jesus' name that I pray,

Amen."

All glory, honor and praise be to God!
Both now, and forever!
Amen & Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment